Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

She has no symptoms but she ate most of a used tube of bacitracin

Customer Question

She has no symptoms but she ate most of a used tube of bacitracin ointment, including most of the tube
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bear and she's almost 9
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bear?
Customer: No she's healthy otherwise but likes to eat.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 5 months ago.
Hello and than you for using this site to help you. If it was plain Bacitraction and not zinc bacitration then it should be fine as this is used for dog wounds because it does not contain zinc oxide so if it is ingested it is not toxic to the dog. If it were a zinc based ointment then you should contact your vet if you see signs of illness. That being said any non food item has the potential to cause diarrhea and stomach upset as well as having ate the tube could cause an obstruction of the bowel. I would keep an eye on her and give her a little pure canned pumpkin, to help her pass this through the intestines and hopefully there will be no obstruction if she chewed the container well enough.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 5 months ago.
symptoms of zinc toxicity