PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog has been foaming out mouth days, now black diarhea,

Customer Question

my dog has been foaming out mouth for 2 days, now black diarhea, panting, hasnt eaten in a day or drink any fluids. 2 year old boxer, hasnt eatne anything prior out of the ordinary.. did throw up some green plants from yard.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Hi, JACustomer. Thanks for your question. The black diarrhea is a very concerning symptom that can indicate a gastric bleed. Not eating or drinking, along with drooling, is going to lead to dehydration and the diarrhea will worsen this. I would recommend taking your companion directly to the vet for some diagnostics to see what is causing this. Not all illnesses are secondary to having eaten something the pet was not supposed to eat, so this may turn out to be a case where something else is causing the symptoms entirely. More info here: http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/melena-blood-in-stool-in-dogsFailing this, there are a few things that can be done at home to help make a pet with a stomach upset feel better. The drooling is a sign of nausea. The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet to see if your companion will eat. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to using the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, I will not be compensated for helping you today.
Hi, JACustomer. Checking in to see how your companion is doing. Is he feeling any better today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy