Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

She is eating well. In good spirits and no vomiting. JA: I'm

Customer Question

she is eating well. In good spirits and no vomiting.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: she might have gotten in the cat bowl which I relocated where she can't get at it.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lurleen and she is 5 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lurleen?
Customer: We adopted her and her sister in March. They were very timid. I was told that they were previously abused.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 7 months ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. What seems to be the problem with her?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Jane. My Lurleen has diahrea for two days. Her eyes are watery, otherwise she is in very good spirits We gave her Denta sticks for her teeth, chicken and sausage flavor; Pedigree canned dog food, beef,chicken flavors. Also she has gotten into our cats bowl which we have relocated.
Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful. Diarrhea can be caused by a large number of things including an unusual treat, irritable bowel syndrome, disease, bacteria or protozoan infection. It is likely from the cat food. If your dog is eating and drinking normally, Kaopectate at 1 teaspoon per 5 pound every 2 - 6 hours or Imodium at 1 mg per 15 pounds one or two times a day can be given for diarrhea. Read dosage information here that states Loperamide is also dosed at 1 capsule (2 mg) per 50 pounds (25 kg) if over 20 pounds (10 kg). Some herding breeds like collies can have an adverse reaction to imodium so avoid using in collies and similar breeds. Canned pumpkin (not pie filling) will also absorb excess fluid in the bowel with just a spoonful added to the dog’s food. Some experts will recommend a bland diet for a few days of boiled chicken and rice. If the diarrhea continues, have your dog tested for parasites such as worms or a protozoan infection such as coccidia or giardia. Here are sites on worms, coccidia and giardia, which you may find informative.http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/worms.html http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1622&articleid=727http://www.petplace.com/dogs/giardia-in-dogs/page1.aspx http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/beaglehealth_giardiasis.htm If the discharge from her eyes is thick or discolored, then you will want to go ahead and have her seen by your vet as that might indicate an eye infection and possibly allergies. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?