Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 11 1/2 year old golden was diagnosed with cancer 3 weeks

Customer Question

My 11 1/2 year old golden was diagnosed with cancer 3 weeks ago. He has been on prednisone for almost two weeks taken 1 25mg pill once a day. The vet has not indicated that they are going to decrease the frequency to less than once a day. The dog is doing great. Is it ok to keep him on it like this
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Cooper
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cooper?
Customer: No he has no mass or large tumor. His lungs lungs look cloudy on the X-rays and an ultra sound showed a few spots on kidney and liver. He has never really lost his appetite even before the prednisone he in on the Chinese herb Hunan bayu to stop bleeding because he was coughing up mucus and blood three weeks ago but has not coughed since then
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I am very sorry to hear about Cooper's recent diagnosis.In regards ***** ***** question, if he is tolerating the steroids well, then he can stay on them at this dose as long as needed. Generally speaking, we will recheck them in 2-4 weeks after starting the dose and often determine at that point whether to wean down or not.So, I'd not be worried three weeks into treatment if he is doing well. Though it'd be worth a ring to his vets to see when they want to reassess him so that we can determine if his lungs sound good (+/- check an xray to compare to the initial one) and whether we can drop that down to once daily if needed. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello again,How is everything going with your wee one?Dr. B.