Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Her ear tips are swollen and crusty. no bleding or puss JA:

Customer Question

her ear tips are swollen and crusty. no bleding or puss
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Elsa 2 yrs, 6 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Elsa?
Customer: she doesn't eat her dog food much, she wants treats or meat
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hello. This sounds like it may be fly strike. This is from flies biting the tips of the ears and then they get infected. I usually treat with an insect repellent when they go outside and some antibiotics +/- pain meds now to help the ears heal. You can also rub a topical antibiotic ointment like Neosporin on them to help them heal faster. An exam is also done to rule out the rare auto-immune conditions that can cause this. I think it's unlikely, but worth considering. A good insect repellent that is safe in dogs is Avon skin-so-soft. It works great and it's very safe. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do not have flies. Sometimes, there are fruit flies in the kitchen. The tips of her ears are white with the crusting.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Ok. In that case, I would treat as an infection first. If they don't resolve, then I would get biopsy samples to see if they are due to an auto-immune disease or vasculitis. Immuno-suppressive therapy could be needed if it's an auto-immune disease.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I recently moved to this city and do not yet have a Vet. to take her to but will need to do so to get this taken are of.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Yeah, by law she'll need an exam to prescribe meds.Hopefully this gets cleared up quickly. Ear lesions can be quite irritating.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thank you for your help and have a good evening.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
You're welcome. Take care
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hi Myrna,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?