PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Its a dime size growth at his elbow, he keeps trying to chew

Customer Question

Its a dime size growth at his elbow, he keeps trying to chew it off
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Max and he's 9 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Max?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. If you would rather wait for the Expert you had originally contacted, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) Do you have a photograph of the growth he's trying to remove? 2) What breed is Max? 3) How long has this growth been present? 4) How is his health otherwise?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Max is a min pin 9 yrs old maybe 9 months, started out small
Thank you for the additional information. It will take me 5 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how I will be compensated for my time.
There are a few things that you can do in this situation. 1) You can have the growth removed so that it is no longer causing him discomfort. Once healed, he may no longer be interested in attempting to remove it because it will not be bothering him. This will be the fastest approach. Healing time is usually 5-10 days. 2) You can use an e-collar to keep him from chewing at the area. This can take a few weeks, during which time the skin should be able to heal. How to make one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFWPH17u0eU3) You can talk to your vet about showing you how to wrap the area so that he cannot chew. You may need to use this along with an e-collar from #2. 4) Use an deterrent ointment like YUK! on the area to keep him from licking. http://www.amazon.com/Yuk-2e-Anti-Lick-0-5oz-Tube/dp/B00076NTEG As with the other steps, this may take a few weeks to offer you the best benefits overall but should work promptly to keep him from licking. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to using the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, I will not be compensated for helping you today.