Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

Lab, 2 years old, won't eat and sticking close to us all.

Customer Question

Lab, 2 years old, won't eat and sticking close to us all. He is panting a lot. Nose wet; not cool but not warm either. Vomiting and grass in it. Last ate dinner last night and threw that up as well.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tye
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tye?
Customer: He eats everything in sight normally and is a fat lab. Worried he may have an obstruction. His belly isn't swollen and it isn't tender either as I palpitated all over to see. He has had all recent shots. He seems like he is having a difficult time getting comfortable. Lays, then sits, then lays and pants and is whining some (but does that when he is hungry.)
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 5 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Tye has been having a rough morning. I'll do my best to help. When I see young dogs that are suddenly vomiting but acting relatively normally otherwise, the first couple of things I consider are infectious diseases (think stomach flu), dietary issues (I ate something that didn't agree with me), foreign body obstructions (I ate something that's blocking my GI tract) or rarely a gastric dilation volvulus (GDV or "bloat"). These can range from mild things that they get over on their own, up to surgical emergencies. Obstructions are typically signaled by the pet's inability to keep anything down. Everything they eat or drink gets vomited back up within minutes to hours. GDV presents as a dog who is clearly very agitated, pacing, panting, and doing a lot of unproductive retching. The degree of abdominal distention with a GDV is variable, but in more advanced cases their belly is quite obviously firmly distended. GI obstructions don't actually typically involve any abdominal distention. Most dogs with an obstruction are tender about having their bellies palpated, but I've had a few who were not tender at all.As long as their breathing is not labored, there is no abdominal distention, and their gums are pink and moist, I usually recommend holding off on giving any food or water for at least 6-8 hours. If they are continuing to vomit though this time, it's time to see the vet. If they stop vomiting, then I start by offering a small portion of water. If they keep that down for more than 2 hours, I offer another small amount of water and a small taste of food (1-2tsp). As long as they continue to tolerate small meals, you can gradually increase the amount of food at each sitting and increase the time in between meals. If they aren't eating at all for >24 hours, this also merits a trip to the vet. Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
"as long as there isn't an obstruction".....but I don't know so now I have to go to vet anyway I guess. Thank you. You provided lots of information if he doesn't have an obstruction but not really how to know if he has an obstruction and my overall question Does he need to be seen in an office. I would like to get my money back and cancel all this. No free trial, remove my credit card which I can't seem to do and there should be an option for me to do that and nothing charged because now I need to go take him in somewhere.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry, but the only way to know what is wrong with your dog is to have an actual exam. I can give you general information and suggestions on how to handle your situation, but I cannot make a medical diagnosis legally, ethically, or practically, without doing an exam. I gave you some signs of obstructions to watch for, described what an obstruction looks like clinically, and also at home care options as well as red flags that indicate the need for an exam. I'm sorry that this information wasn't useful to you. I do not have access to your financial information - I'm only a veterinarian. Please contact customer service to handle your financial concerns: Take care and I wish you all the best with Tye - I hope that he is feeling better soon.~Dr. Sara