Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 11 1/2 yr old pug has an autoimmune disease, diabetes, liver

Customer Question

My 11 1/2 yr old pug has an autoimmune disease, diabetes, liver condition and has been totaly blind for 3 yrs. She has what looks like some brusing on the sides of her tummy and a rash between her back legs as she is a bit over weight. She weighs about 18 pds.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Nothing right now, she has a cough but she has been treated with that. She is on predisone, minicycline, niacin, a liver pill and cough tablet,
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
I'm concerned by the finding of "bruising" which can indicate the ecchymosis (bleeding under the skin) of thrombocytopenia (decreased blood platelets) as seen as a sole entity or concomitant with autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA). Was her autoimmune disease you mentioned AIHA? In any event, ecchymosis should prompt a visit to her vet who can perform a complete blood count including a hand count of platelets. Time is of the essence when such bleeding is present. Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?