PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Please tell me signs and symptoms of a dog with hypothyroidism.

Customer Question

Please tell me signs and symptoms of a dog with hypothyroidism. My 2 year old Coton de Tulear's hair on both sides has gotten thinner. She tends to watch her sister play instead of playing like she used to and much more protective of her bones, food, toys bed and even the couch.
I love her and I am very concerned. Thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Hi, Nancy. I'm working on your question right now. I'll be back in less than 5 mins with a response for you.
She's a little on the young side for hypothyroidism as we normally see dogs around 4 years of age before diagnosis. However, it's possible she has an early onset. Keep in mind that not all dogs show "typically" or all symptoms. Here's what we most commonly see: hair loss over the back legs, tail and trunk of the body; thin, dull haircoat; dander appearance to the coat; some discoloration to the skin; weight gain with muscle loss; lethargic behavior. There's a very comprehensive list and discussion on all the common causes. You may want to look over this too to see if she fits any of the descriptions and then talk to your vet accordingly. More info here: http://www.bcskinvet.com/hair-loss-hormonal-disease.php Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to using the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, I will not be compensated for helping you today.