Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

I've cleaned her ears with a wet wash cloth. a blackish substance

Customer Question

I've cleaned her ears with a wet wash cloth. a blackish substance is on the cloth. then she shakes her head. her ears do not smell nor do they appear red. Rubbing them seems to bother her.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Emma is a 3 YO boston terrier
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Emma?
Customer: no, she is healthy. she used Tri-otic ointment in the past. I don't know if I need to clean her ears regularly or if she may have an infection and needs a prescription.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pup Emma has sore ears with dark waxy debris. Dark waxy debris and soreness likely indicate an ear infection. Neither is normal in a normal ear.Of course the ideal situation is to see her veterinarian and have her ear debris tested to see what sort of infection she has to get her on the right medication, but I understand that may not be possible immediately.In the meantime there are some things that we can do to help her feel more comfortable.Rather than a damp rag I also recommend using a gentle ear cleaner like Oticlens daily now to remove as much of the waxy debris as possible. This removes excess wax and keeps the ear pH at levels that discourage infections. A wet washcloth adds more moisture, which makes a more favorable environment for bacteria and yeast.When the ear is sore many dogs won't let you squirt things in their ear but if you soak a cotton ball with the cleaner, then place it at the base of the inside of the ear where the ear canal starts to bend in, and massage the ear from the outside, putting pressure on the soaked cotton ball, the cleaner will be instilled easily. Wipe out excess cleaner and waxy debris with dry cotton balls. Then have her seen by her veterinarian as soon as possible.Once you have her infection treated and cleared use the cleaner twice a week as that helps prevent infections and also allows you to know what a normal ear looks like and catch ear infections very early.Sometimes with an early infection simply cleaning the ear daily with the proper cleaner is enough to stop it in its tracks.If her ear skin surface is very red after cleaning you can apply a light coat of cortisone cream (like cortaid) to the ear skin with a cotton ball.Do not clean her ear the day of her veterinary appointment so they can gather a sample of the wax for testing.Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara