Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

Is there a way to attach a photo? JA: I'll do all I can to

Customer Question

is there a way to attach a photo?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: it would be easiest to show with a photo. Is there a way to attach a photo
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: he doesn't hurt. He has very distinct something on his jowls that is difficly to explain.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: brantley 1 year
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Brantley?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
See attached photo. This is on his lower right jowl. Have you seen something like this before?
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 7 months ago.
Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short.I had a chance to review the photo you attached of your pt Brantley. The lesions depicted in this photo appear to be raised nodular lesions that have ulcerated (opened up) and these are typically caused by 2 possible disease processes that look very similar in appearance for a dog this age, and they are 1) Calcinosis Circumscripta or 2) Papillomatosis. Papillomatosis is caused by a virus and is very common in young dogs. This disease process generally is self-limiting and requires little if any treatment if the pet is not bothered by the lesions, because this will generally resolve on its own within 2-4 weeks.Calcinosis circumscripta on the other-hand is a bit more complex. There are many causes of this disease including foreign body reaction (something that contacted the lip) and idiopathic (no underlying cause). There are other causes but they are much less likely so I won't go into those. The treatment for this disease depends on the underlying cause, but many pets require surgical removal if the lesions are persistent and bothersome to the pet. Because these two disease processes look very similar the only way to tell them apart is to have a biopsy or aspirate done of the tissue for analysis. You do have the option of waiting to see if these lesions resolve on their own, especially if your pet does not seem bothered by them. You can also use a pet formulated mouth rinse to keep the area clean since there are open ulcers on the areas. This will also help with some of the inflammation. But if the lesions do not go away or are seemingly painful to your pet, then the next best step is to have these biopsied. Please let me know if you have any further questions about the recommendations above. Thank you. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )- Dr. H
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
To be clear this photo is not actually my dog. This is just a similar photo found on the internet. What I pointed to in red is what I'm guessing you described as the "ulcers" that does not exist on him. It is just the irregular shape of his jowls outlined in green that we recently noticed. None of the others have this shape and we never noticed this before.
Do you have a picture of your pet in particular?
And yes the red arrows point to the ulcers
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can get one this evening but honestly it looks just like this minus the "ulcers"
Ok. So then the mouth rinse may not be necessary if the lesions are not ulcerated. The other information is still valid if this picture depicts your pet's lesions. Another name for Calcinoshs Circumscripta is a sterile nodular/granulmoatous dermatoses. This is a very complex disease in itself as I hinted to earlier. And this would be the only one that would most likely require treatment.- Dr. H
No need to send in an additional photo if this picture is pretty accurate. Is there anything else I can help you and your pet with today? **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Drhollowayvet