Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My Lhasa apso has had a problem with his tail a

Customer Question

My Lhasa apso has had a problem with his tail for nearly a year now, he keeps biting it and going crazy round in circles to get at it and really barking as if he is sore he seems distraught,I have taken him to the vet on numerous occasions with this problem, thought it was allergy changed his food, thot it was itch he was put on steroid tablets his anal glands were checked, hes always is a lot worse wen he returns from groomers, he sits in corner for 2 days and won't move, I am at end of my tether, please help .
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.Any sores around his tail?Did any of the medications work?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No sores around tail
Meds didn't seem to make any difference
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the information. If she didn't respond to treatment for allergies, and your vet has thoroughly ruled out fleas, I would consider treating for an obsessive compulsive disorder. Tail fixation and chasing is a common issue with dogs with OCD. I would talk to your vet about getting him on something like fluoxetine to see if that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.