Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Took my dog out walk when I came back her eye was closed

Customer Question

Took my dog out for a walk when I came back her eye was closed I open it to look at it and it's white like she's blind
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Sorry what does her foot has to do with her eye
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jazz and 11 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jazz?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. The white look to the eye is corneal edema. This happens when there is trauma or inflammation of the eye. The cornea basically bruises, and that white color is what we see. The most likely cause is an ulcer or scratch to the cornea. These are usually not full thickness through the cornea, and they are treated with topical antibiotic drops. If full thickness and into the inner part of the eye, then we need to treat them surgically by placing a graft over the defect using the conjunctiva. You should get this looked at by a vet in the next few hours to have it diagnosed and start treating with pain meds and hopefully topical medications to get it cleared up. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.