Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My 4 month old mini schnauzer's right ear flappy part has

Customer Question

Hi. My 4 month old mini schnauzer's right ear flappy part has just collapsed. it used to point up with his other ear, but now it's just a floppy ear with no movement. Do you had any idea what would cause this? He doesn't seem to be in any pain and he isn't playing with it. He hasn't changed in anyway.
Please help!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 7 months ago.
hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. Puppy ears frequently will be "lazy" at this point in their lives due to teething. Their bodies are using their calcium for teeth development instead of developing ear structure. If his ears had not been standing up to this point, you would need to think about taping the ears. Usually by 5 months they have been standing on their own at least a portion of the time. Since yours just went down, it is likely they will come back up. There are varying opinions on whether taping works or not, but the majority state that it works well if started before 7 months of age. Most also agree that if a pups ears are not standing some of the time by 5 months then taping is recommended. It can take as long as 2-3 months to achieve results. If your dog's ears are not back up by 6 months you might want to consider taping as well. Here are excellent sites on ear taping information as to the proper way to do it.http://axcium.com/taping_cropped_schnauzer_ears.htm I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.