How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 23747
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think he may have licked some of the orto defense pesticide

Customer Question

I think he may have licked some of the orto defense pesticide from the floor. He seems to have a bad taste in his mouth and just keeps licking as well as what appears to be the hiccups
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Milo 6 1/2 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Milo?
Customer: He's a yorkie/ shi t'zu mix. When I first sprayed the pesticide he began to cough a bit so I took him outside for a bit and he appeared to be fine. Until about 30 minutes ago when I think he licked it. I also noticed he threw up his dinner but I'm not sure if this was before or after he licked it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. There are quite a few different Ortho Defense products but none would be so toxic that a lick would be dangerous to Milo. In general such an exposure is treated by simply washing out my patient's mouth with copious amounts of water. There are no specific antidotes for the great majority of these products. If you can tell me the active ingredient in your pesticide I can tell you what to expect at this time and in coming days.

Related Dog Questions