Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have a 9 year old male corgi.n V JA: I'll do all I can

Customer Question

I have a 9 year old male corgi.n V
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: he is cold to the touch and shivers. He has lost a lot of weight in a short time. I'm worried for him
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It sounds as if your Corgi is quite ill and needs the attention of his vet at your earliest convenience. If his temperature is subnormal resulting in his feeling cold and his shivering, that's a negative prognostic indicator but doesn't tell me why he's become hypothermic. His profound weight loss is yet another negative prognostic indicator. I regret that I can't be more specific for you from here. I, too, would need to thoroughly examine your Corgi including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests +/- imaging such as X-rays or ultrasound. Please check his vital signs which can give you an idea of his current condition:1) Check his gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of oxygen to his tissues).2) Check his respiratory rate at rest. He should be taking less than 30 breaths/minute while asleep or at rest.3) Take his rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 1.5" into his rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5F. This is a two person job!Please let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did takevmy Corgi to our vet. It seems he is very ill. Hisvtempbis normal. However, he is having a hard time breathing and is retaining fluid. He looks like a pit belly pig. His lymth knodes are inlarged. All of them. The vet said congestive heart failure. Blood was taken. I was told my Leos condition is very serious.
Oh my. If all of his lymph nodes are enlarged lymphoma is most likely. That doesn't rule out congestive heart failure, however. Yes, I'm afraid Leo is quite ill. Please keep me posed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will know more Wednesday morning.
Thank you for getting back with me.
You're welcome. I'll watch for your next post.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?