PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

She's 16 years old and has not been herself lately, the last

Customer Question

she's 16 years old and has not been herself lately, the last few days she's only taken a few bites of her food and then went and laid down
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Brandy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Brandy?
Customer: she's a pure bred min pin
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. If you would rather wait for the Expert you had originally contacted, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) Are you seeing any vomiting? 2) Any diarrhea? 3) Has she had any food recently that was new? Any human food? New treats? 4) Are you seeing any drooling?5) Any difficulty or hesitation to get up or lay back down? 6) Is she on any medication?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
none of that she used to have heart worms and kept her on the heart guard for two years
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
she feels alot lighter than what she used to
How long has she been off of heartgard? Without heart worm prevention, she can get heart worms again. Any coughing? When was her last normal meal?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I give her way food and tried three different flavors of it and just takes a few bites
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
about 7:30 at night and she hacks but not alot
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
her last normal meal was about 4 days ago she would normally eat a whole little ceasers container
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
she's been off for a year I haven't been able to afford to get her anymore
Thank you for the additional information. It will take me 10-20 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how I will be compensated for my time.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok I will wait for the email
I apologize for the delay. I had it all typed out and instead of posting it got lost in cyber space. I had to type it out again. Sorry about that. So, we have to worry about heart worms since she's had heart worms in the past and she's been off of heart worm prevention for the last year. The coughing could be a sign of active heart worm disease, but it may also be from congestive heart failure secondary heart disease caused by the original heart worms. The heart suffers damage when heart worms are present and this may be what's happening in her case. Because we cannot be sure that this is what is going on, I would also recommend trying some approaches that would be easier on her stomach in case she is nauseated. There are a few things that can be done at home to help make a pet with a stomach upset feel better. The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. You can also try chicken or turkey baby food, as well as some of the foods that you have already tried to see if her appetite has been stimulated. It would be most useful to have her examined to see if there are any symptoms that suggest heart disease may be the culprit in her not feeling well. If you might have financial concerns on how to get this done, look into some websites which deal with veterinary bill financial assistance: https://redrover.org/find-financial-assistance-veterinary-care Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to using the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, I will not be compensated for helping you today.
Checking to see how Brandy is doing.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy