Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

I have a 60 lb lab who just ate a lot of glucosamine

Customer Question

I have a 60 lb lab who just ate a lot of glucosamine and some raw lamb treats and some food. Should I induce vomiting?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Hope, 7 years old, and she's actually 65 lbs. I think she probably ate maybe 20-30 glucosamine treats. Her daily dose of these should be 2.5 treats
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hope?
Customer: Otherwise she's in good health. It happened within the last 2 hours
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding your girl who managed to eat a number or glucosamine treats. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.Thank you for your patience.Kind Regards,Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.
Hi again,Thank you for your patience. Thankfully glucosamine is a very safe nutrient and although your girl has managed to eat a large number of these treats, we wouldn't expect anything more than perhaps some gastrointestinal upset here. The other treats she managed to ingest also sound ok, but if she ate any toxic human food (onions, chocolate, grapes for example), then it would be best to induce vomiting here. It sounds it was primarily the glucosamine treats that she has managed to eat here. As we might expect some GI upset here, it would be best to hold off from feeding your girl for the next few hours. You can try her with a little bit of cooked, boneless skinless chicken breast and boiled rice in 4 - 5 hours if you like. As above - we wouldn't expect any other symptoms from this ingestion. I hope this gives you some peace of mind. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry, I am going to pass on this conversation. Think I'm going to the vet. Please refund or don't charge what you can. Thank you.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.
No problem and all the best,Dr E