Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Dogs walked through some spilled industrial drain cleaner acid....dogs

Customer Question

Dogs walked through some spilled industrial drain cleaner acid....dogs are acting like paws hurt so I washed them in a vinegar solution... they are still lickng/favoring them and the one is a little red looking
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Between the paws it looks a little red but he still is excited to play and run for the ball to play fetch but seems to favor it and lick at between
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Carl...2. Labradoodle
JA: How old is Carl?
Customer: 2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Carl?
Customer: No... just wondering if what I did was good enough
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. I'm sure this is quite irritating on the feet. The first thing I would do is make sure they were washed in a dawn dish soap. That is an oil based soap, so it'll take the cleaner off the fur better than a shampoo or hand soap that is water based. I would then use a topical antibiotic ointment on the feet. If you can find any SSD (silver sulfadiazine), that would be the best. If you can't find it, then you can use Neosporin in a pinch until you can get some SSD from your vet. They should heal up fully over 5-7 days. Don't be surprised if they start looking a little worse over the first 24 hours, that is expected. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?