Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Do you think it's okay (ethical) to put a 1-year-old dog down

Customer Question

Do you think it's okay (ethical) to put a 1-year-old dog down for arthritis? He has bilateral elbow dysplasia. Arthroscopy removed bone chips in each elbow. His right leg seems fine but he's quite lame in his left. I love him but when I see him constantly limping or favoring his leg, I don't see that there is much of a life ahead of him. He is obviously limping because he's in pain. He takes Carprofen "as needed" but that's every day, twice a day.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm very sorry to hear about this situation that Sully is in. You have obviously taken some major steps up to this point to try and give him the best situation as possible with the bilateral arthroscopy of both elbows. That is no small undertaking. I know you don't want to see him being in discomfort. No owner wants to see their pet in discomfort. In his situation, could other pain medications be added into the mix to give him some more relief? Tramadol is a very commonly used one with Carprofen. Could glucosamine supplementation have some benefit? Could laser therapy or stem cell therapy have benefit? Could acupuncture help too? These are all other considerations. With him limping, how much discomfort is he in? There in is the unknown. If he's still getting around, eating well, being social, and seeming to be mentally stimulated - then it would seem that his discomfort is slight and he's dealing with it and getting the most out of life possible. If he wasn't getting around, wasn't eating, was being very non-social - then it would seem to be more discomforting. Could he get to a point where his discomfort is such that letting him go is the best option? Yes. When is that time it? That is up to each owner to evaluate as they see those pets at home and how they are doing.