Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

She woke up the other day and her eye was swollen the size

Customer Question

She woke up the other day and her eye was swollen the size of a golfball and almost completely shut. Went to vet and he thinks maybe it was an injury. No X-rays though. Today she is constantly licking her lips and she will look all the way up to the ceiling like there is something there and can't relax.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Zoe and 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zoe?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Zoe. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Was any treatment, pain medication, or antibioitics started when you saw your veterinarian? Did she have a fever when she was there? Is she eating normally? Licking the lips can be from stress, pain, nausea. I would take her temp to see if she have a fever (over 103F), and start pain medication. Is the eye still swollen? If it is, I would start anti inflammatory medication. An allergic reaction can also cause this kind of swelling, so antihistamines might help. I wish I could examine her! Feel her lymph nodes, take her temperature, check her gums for pinkness, check her eye. Let me know if she is eating and if her gums are pink and what other questions you have.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She was given a shot for her pain that was supposed to last for 14 days and has been on antibiotics since Thursday. She was also given an anti inflammatory. Swelling is down some but my husband thought she felt warm earlier. I'm worried she is having seizures. Her eye seems to have been an injury maybe ran into a table or something.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
If she did hit her eye, there could be concussion or other injury deeper than the eye to the skull or brain. Partial or "mini" siezures could be what you describe: starting at things that are not there. The only way to tell if there is concussion or brain injury is to do an MRI, which means seeing a neurology specialist. If I suspect brain injury or infection, until the dog can be examined by a neurologist, I sometimes try a combination of antibiotics like doxycycline and/or clindamycin (not all antibiotics cross the blood-brain barrier and get to the nervous system) and steroids like prednisone. If you do have a neurologist in your area, I would consider a consult with him if you suspect seizures or if Zoe is behaving differently since the injury.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Her gums are pink but she is definitely acting differently. I'm trying to decide if we should take her to an emergency clinic or wait until she can see her vet in the morning
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
Is she eating? That is one big way to decide if she needs to go to emergency; if she is not eating and her gums are pale, I would go to emergency. It is a hard call; emergency can be expensive, always good to see the vet that knows her and her history. However, if she seems to be getting worse or if you are worried, then I would not wait.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
Can I help with anything else? Are you going to emergency?