Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

I can't take my dog to the vet till tomorrow and she has

Customer Question

Hi I can't take my dog to the vet till tomorrow and she has an ear infection and is constantly shaking her head. She's an 85lb dog will Termaril-P help her to ease the inflammation for today till I can take her tomorrow and if so how many should I give her? This medication was for my other dog which is 30lbs lighter and was prescribed for a different reason.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Hi, her name is ***** ***** she's a Blue American Staffordshire Terrier. She gets seasonal allergies and occasional ear infections. She's on a non grain food and I put salmon oil on top of her food to help make her coat shiny
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sasha?
Customer: I just gave her 2 tablets of Tramadol Tablets 50mg for pain which was prescribed to her 6 months ago for pain
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. I wouldn't use Temaril-P for an infection. I would actually just try to clean out the ears and give some Benadryl for the irritation. You can give a dog this size 100 mg of Benadryl every 6-8 hours, as needed. I usually go with a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory like Rimadyl for these guys vs a steroid, so that's why you don't want to give Temaril-P. You can't give steroids and non-steroidals together. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank u very much!! Can I give her the pill form of Benadryl? And if so I can give her the Benadryl even though I just gave her the Tramadol Tablets for pain? The combination will not be harmful? And if not would u recommend to continue giving her both meds for today together? Thanks again! :)
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Yes, you can give the pill form of Benadryl. It would be 4 of the adult strength 25 mg tabs/ capsules at a time. It is safe to give with Tramadol- no issues there.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok great!! Thank u so much for your time I really appreciate it as I'm sure my dog does as well.
Have a great day! :)
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
You're very welcome. Happy to help.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?