Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

Lisa. I gave a visiting Havanese 2-3 yr old a cooked lamb chop bone last evening about 6p

Customer Question

Lisa. I gave a visiting Havanese 2-3 yr old a cooked lamb chop bone last evening about 6pm. She ate the whole thing. Good night -she slept with me. Up at 6 this am and went out to pee. Played some afterward. About 7 she threw up some yellow liquid. She has seemed lethargic since. In her crate, which she hardly ever uses, and not barking at squirrels on the deck. Unusual for her.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 months ago.
Hello , the original expert you asked for is either not online, no longer working here, or no longer in the dog category. Was there meat on the bone?How big was the actual bone and did the dog chew it well?What color are Reggie's gums?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can't say anything about how well chewed. Hardly any meat on it.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for that information. When we give our dogs bones we open them up to possible health problems. The first would be an obstruction of the bowel and the second is when they chew the bone it splinters and punctures the intestinal lining.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What should I watch for now. I do know about what you said.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 months ago.
Either is not a good situation. If it punctures the intestinal tract it would send sepis through the body and if there is an obstruction then the dog will become ill with vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy. I would suggest you take the dogs vital signs, fever, capillary refill, heart rate. The site below will take you through that.Keep an eye on the vitals as that will let you know if there is an emergencyhttp://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs/page1.aspx
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 months ago.
IF you notice that the dog is not really responsive to you when you call its name that is another area for concern. As it stands , the dogs lack of interest and the fact that he went into his crate where he normally would not would be enough for me to take him to an ER Vet.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 months ago.
Hi Jane,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Reggie. How is everything going?

Sally G.