Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I suspect onion poisoning he is a bit lethargic has vomited

Customer Question

I suspect onion poisoning he is a bit lethargic has vomited and he has fallen over a couple of times is there anything I can give him
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: No but I think it was onion in a gravy which he did eat and there was s bit of it
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No not really he is a pugalier
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. This is not likely due to the onions. Onion toxicity causes damage to red blood cells, but it's a more chronic toxicity. It's not an acute toxicity like what you are seeing. This sounds more like a case of gastroenteritis or even some other toxin that he may have gotten into. If the falling over continues, then I would get to an ER vet to have him evaluated and treated aggressively. If it's just the nausea and the neurologic stuff resolves, then you can do the following assuming it's just an upset stomach:1. Withhold food and water until he goes 6-8 hours without vomiting2. Give over the counter Pepcid AC (Famotidine) at a dose of 0.25 mg per lb every 12-24 hours3. After the fasting period you can try either a bland diet of broiled chicken/ hamburger and rice. If not available, you can just give small frequent meals (3-4 meals/day rather than 1-2 meals/day). If any diarrhea is noted, you can also give 1-2 teaspoons of canned pumpkin with the meals. The extra fiber helps firm up loose stool and promote normal colon motility.4. This will usually resolve the signs in 2-3 days if a non-specific gastroenteritis. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?