Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My very old chihuahua is dying of heart failure I believe and

Customer Question

My very old chihuahua is dying of heart failure I believe and I want him to go peacefully at home and wondering what I can do.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: He has been having seizures and labored breathing- sounds like he's drowning since 5 pm. Can no longer walk.
JA: Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your dog. Unfortunately, there is no way to humanely euthanize him at home. The only way to euthanize humanely, is with an injection of Sodium Pentobarbital (euthanasia solution). The only other approved humane euthanasia is a well placed gunshot wound to the head. I would never recommend an owner shoot their own dog. If you have a 24 hour ER around you, I would take him there. Otherwise, he will continue to have labored and congested breathing until he eventually fatigues to the point where he can't keep up his respirations and he drowns in the fluid in the lungs. It's a tough way to go. I'm sorry again you're in this situation. Let me know if you have any other questions.