Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Pearl, I'm Dori, my female cocker spaniel just swallowed

Customer Question

Hello Pearl, I'm Dori, my female cocker spaniel just swallowed a liquid cold tablet. I don't know what brand it is.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cocker spaniel will be able to digest that. What is the cocker spaniel's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she's 4yr old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Angel?
Customer: A gel capsule is what it was and blue liquid.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again Dori I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. I doubt if one such tablet would cause any major problem in a dog of Angel's weight but distressing more minor symptoms may be possible. 2. However since we do not know the brand name or the ingredients then one of the best things you can do as a precaution is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things may be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK { Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs } 3. However if you fail to induce vomiting and any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. In your case expected side effects could include vomiting, inappetance, lethargy and incoordination amongst other symptoms.I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again Dori,I am just checking back in to see how Angel is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the cold tablet ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.