Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

He has a swollen stomach. Threw up phlegm and has shortness

Customer Question

He has a swollen stomach. Threw up phlegm and has shortness of breath.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: He got a cheesy breadstick this morning while I was at work
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He wont eat or drink anything and looks very tired.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** is 6 months old
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. It sounds like he may have a condition called food bloat. This is from over eating. There is a condition called bloat, where the stomach twists. True bloat is life threatening. Food bloat is just uncomfortable and goes away on it's own over 1-2 days. I would get an x-ray of the abdomen just to make sure. Given his age, it's unlikely that the stomach twisted. We usually see that in older dogs. With food bloat, I do the following:> with hold food for 24 hours> in 24 hours, give 1/4 of a normal meal> in 36 hours, start feeding normally> allow free access to water I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.