Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

She is lethargic and wheezing a little and she shivers. She

Customer Question

She is lethargic and wheezing a little and she shivers. She was groomed this week
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Chloe and she i 8
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chloe?
Customer: Very sensitive to shots rabies and lepro
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. It sounds like she may be having a bit of a delayed hypersensitivity reaction to the groomer products. We can see airway inflammation and wheezing after grooming in these hyper-sensitive dogs. We typically treat the mild cases with Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). The dose in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. It can be given every 6-8 hours, as needed. In more severe cases, I'll treat with broncho-dilators (Terbutaline) and steroids (Prednisone). It doesn't sound like that will be needed here. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.