Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I have an 11 year old chocolate lab who has never been sick.

Customer Question

I have an 11 year old chocolate lab who has never been sick. He always eats in the morning and again at 5:00. We give him large Breed distinctions chicken and rice dry food with a little bit of canned mixed in. Thursday night he didn't eat and hasn't eaten since except for a bit of egg I hand fed him this morning. My fiancé took him for a walk around 2 pm and he urinated normally but had a little diarrhea. He got tired and was panting a lot when he got back. Was also real slobbery when he got home.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Kane
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kane?
Customer: He's been eating a little grass before this started.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. It sounds like he has some GI upset. With the diarrhea, drooling and decreased appetite, I would start with some bloodwork. That will rule out metabolic causes. If the bloodwork is normal, then I would treat symptomatically with some anti-nausea meds (Cerenia), antacids (Pepcid) and antibiotics (Metronidazole). If you want to try some Pepcid at home, it is available over the counter. You can give 20 mg every 12-24 hours, as needed. I would also try some chicken/ rice that is easy on the stomach and feed every 6-8 hours- small meals frequently. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.