PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My Great Dane is vomiting and drooling JA: I'm sorry to hear

Customer Question

My Great Dane is vomiting and drooling
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Could he be stressed from our moving
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Wrigley. 3 years old.he is active otherwise
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Wrigley?
Customer: No he's been healthy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. If you would rather wait for the Expert you had originally contacted, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion? 1) When did you move? 2) Are you seeing any abdominal swelling? 3) Is he resting or pacing? 4) Any "downward dog" positioning? 5) Is he playful? 6) Still eating and drinking? 7) When did this begin?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Started throwing up yesterday. We are in the middle of a garage sale and getting ready to move. Don't see a domino swelling. Still drinking. Haven't fed since he threw up the food. He he isn't pacing. He will lay down and relax. Nose is wet. No downward dog positioning.
Excellent news. It doesn't sound like he's having the symptoms of bloat, but I do want you to have that information available as Danes are prone to it. More info here:'s very possible the stress of the garage sale and the changes in the home associated with the move may be part of the reason he's vomiting. There are a few things that can be done at home to help make a pet with a stomach upset feel better. The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen.If this does not result in the improvements you’re wanting, it may be necessary to have your companion examined by a veterinarian and injectable medications for nausea administered. I’m particularly a big fan of Cerenia for vomiting as it tends to work quickly, does a great job and works for a full 24 hours. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to using the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, I will not be compensated for helping you today.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Hi, Customer. Checking in. How is Wrigley doing?