Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Pearl, My Yorkie has been sick since September last year.

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, My Yorkie has been sick since September last year. At first he could not hold his bowels or pee, he would just go where he laid. We tried several medicines and diet. Finally he is on a prescription food and has fairly normal stools now, still a little soft, but going outside. He eats way more that normal now, but is still is not gaining any weight so he is not absorbing any of the nutrients in his food. The vet says all his levels are good. He used to be 6 lbs when healthy and is now 3.5 lbs. He is a male and 10 years old. He also has dry eye which we have ongoing treatment for now. My vet is stumped, but we are making him comfortable for now.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ike
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ike?
Customer: He is lethargic, but still plays with his toys and walks around on his own. He does walk like something is bothering him, slightly bowlegged. He has been a healthy dog up to now. He had lunated patella surgery in 2008 and his pins in his knees get checked every year and they are fine.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
This is going to be a difficult case for me to jump in the middle but I would be pleased to review any test results you could upload to our conversation. I understand that you might not have a copy at home but Ike'svet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon above your message box (if you can see the icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/ My working diagnosis would be malabsorption (as you suspect due to his polyphagia/increased hunger yet weight loss) due to lymphangiectasia in a Yorkie. This can be suggested by performing a gastrointestinal diagnostic panel containing a specCPL blood test (specific for detecting pancreatitis), a TLI blood test (specific for detecting an exocrine pancreatic insufficiency/lack of digestive enzymes produced by the pancreas), and both serum folate and vitamin B12 levels (decreases of either suggest malabsorption disorders). Lymphangiectasia, however, is a diagnosis made by scoping and biopsy of the GI tract. Please respond with the additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you! I will get those results for you.
You're welcome. I'll watch for your next post.