Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

He was fine all day yesterday and yesterday night this morning

Customer Question

He was fine all day yesterday and yesterday night this morning he threw up and it looked like his regular food no blood or anything strange , his belly is hard and he seems a bit hevy , he's a yorkie so he's not that big
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I noticed
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He is 5 months his name is Benji
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Benji?
Customer: He's up to date with shots
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Can he keep any water down?Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?You noted, his belly is hard. Any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain when you press?Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?Any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He has not drank anything sense he threw up
His gums are like a pink with purple color they seem normal, he doesn't seem to be in pain , he just won't stand for a long time
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry, no diarrhea Benji had not used the restroom at all sense last night
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** that belly is hard and he doesn't want to stand as normal, I'd be concerned that he does have significant belly discomfort even if he is putting on a brave face when you palpate his stomach. In that case, we do need to tread with care, since this can all be seen with severe infectious gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, as well as with high parasite burdens, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items). And at Benji's age those last two are highly suspect. With this all in mind, as long as he isn't vomiting continuously and Benji 's gums are a normal color for him, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though I'd note that if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet. Once he is steadier on his stomach, we can plan to start him with a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet. Since dehydration is a risk in a small dog that isn't drinking, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE ( If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue for him (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell). Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger this GI upset we are seeing. Furthermore, I am just concerned that he has belly pain he isn't telling you about (potentially due to something he ate since he is a young lad). Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. If he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours since he is so young; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out any blockages, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself. Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?