Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

He seems fine but i think he ate rhodedendron bud JA: I'm

Customer Question

He seems fine but i think he ate rhodedendron bud
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Remi is is a husky puppy 8 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Remi?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today. Did he eat just one?How long ago?How much does he weigh?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just one 15 minutes ago he weighs 44lbs
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** is a small dose for Remi. Therefore, we could see GI upset (drooling, appetite loss, vomiting, diarrhea) and short term lethargy; but we are unlikely to see those serious signs associated with larger dose ingestion ( ie weakness, collapse, neurological and heart based signs). With this in mind, we do have a few options. Since he just had this, we could choose to err on the side of caution and induce vomiting just now. To do so at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues. Otherwise, we'd want to monitor and use supportive care as needed to offset any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. Ones we can use here include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Overall, this was thankfully a very small dose. Therefore, we' may see GI upset if anything at all. So, we can use either step in this case and plan to keep a close eye over the next 24 hours. Of course, any of those more serious signs or profuse vomiting (since he is young and could easily get dehydrated), then we'd want a check with his local vet for symptomatic care as needed. Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )