Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog has swelling on his back leg - on the inside to the

Customer Question

My dog has swelling on his back leg - on the inside to the back from the top down to about I guess what you would call his knee. He isn't in nay pain and lets me manipulate his leg with no problem.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound on his foot or leg anywhere that I can find.
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this.
Customer: He doesn't seem to be uncomfortable at all as a matter of fact but it is making him walk a little funny.
JA: How old is His?
Customer: he is almost 9 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about His?
Customer: he's a pug and hes most definitely overweight.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Now that I look at it more closely - its really not his leg itself its almost what I would say upper thigh and groin area.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help. Now as I am sure you can appreciate when we see any swelling on our pets, we do have to consider a range of issues. First, if this has suddenly appeared, then we would need to consider those lumps that could arise this quickly like trauma induced hematomas (blood blister like lesions), soft tissue swelling, abscesses, and insect sting induced allergic reactions. Though if this has been present for longer, we'd also need to consider lipomas (fatty lumps), cysts, and abnormal growths. Now with these in mind, we can start some supportive care to try and rule out some of these. To start, if there is any chance or a bee/spider/wasp sting or bite, then we can reduce allergic type swelling using antihistamines. Commonly we will use Benadryl (Diphenhydramine; More Info/Dose). A low dose (ie. 0.5mg per pound of body weight twice daily) is often enough to reduce these signs over a few days. We do usually like to keep the dose low in dogs, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). As well, of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Furthermore, to reduce swelling with any of these sudden appearing concerns, you can also start warm compressing this lump. This can reduce inflammation as well as encourage hematomas and allergic reactions to settle. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required). Now if you use the above, but the lump doesn't settle with our supportive care, then we'd need to think about those other issues. In that case, the best way to approach an abnormal lump like this is to have your vet evaluate the lump via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the lump. If they remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If clear or blood stained fluid is removed, then a cyst would be most likely and removal would be cosmetic. The same would be the case if they removed fat, as that would confirm a lipoma. Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained to tell us what is present and whether it is something that needs more serious treatment. Overall, we do have a few concerns for this lump on your lad's leg/thigh. Its good that it is causing no bother but since this isn't a place with lots of room to remove a growth if present we'd want to tread with care. So, if this just appeared, you can try the above over the weekend. Though if it doesn't settle or has been present longer, we'd want to consider a check once his vet is open. That way they can test this to identify what is causing the swelling and once we know which issue is present we can treat it appropriately for your wee one. Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )