Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My dog is SEVERELY frightened of thunderstorms. When I'm home

Customer Question

My dog is SEVERELY frightened of thunderstorms. When I'm home I can comfort him but when I'm at work, he tears up the house and pees all over our bed. I've tried crating him and he hurt himself escaping the crate. A thundercoat and medicines don't work. What can I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sturgis, age 5.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sturgis?
Customer: He's a German shepherd/put Bill mix.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dwight Alleyne replied 6 months ago.
Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet Sturgis today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? What medicines have you tried him on so far?