Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

10 month old male basset hound vomited yellow bile with bright

Customer Question

10 month old male basset hound vomited yellow bile with bright red spots of blood. He doesn't seem sick and is acting normally.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the basset hound eat anything unusual?
Customer: A pepperoni stick dog treat. he also chews on stuff sometimes and could have maybe eaten something while he was outside or swallowed part of a toy or something, I'm not sure.
JA: What is the basset hound's name?
Customer: Arthur
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Arthur?
Customer: There is a canine parvovirus (CPV) going around in the area we live in and I don't think the dog is vaccinated.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you.
Hello again Sorry to hear Arthur is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ... This may not be as serious as you think, bright red blood spotting can sometimes appear in vomit where a small blood vessel in the throat has ruptured due to the stress of retching, so this could still be a minor bout of vomiting. But this sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check Arthur over without delay. That said that there are a number of home remedies for vomiting in the dog which some owners try before getting a vet involved, these can often work well for uncomplicated cases where a dog is otherwise quite bright and happy, where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or has had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or somehow acquired has a minor tummy bug. Here are some examples.1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.3. Live yogurt added to the food or given orally can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance, a couple of tablespoons twice a day should be fine for a dog the size of Arthur. 4. Hopefully he will quickly recover from this vomiting bout which does not sound like CPV at present, however when he is better it would always be a good idea to have him vaccinated.5. Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how Arthur is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his vomiting ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?