Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

We have just got a 2 year old lab, my 3 year old Maltese seems

Customer Question

We have just got a 2 year old lab, my 3 year old Maltese seems to drool around her?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her name is Bella
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?
Customer: She is pee pad trained indoors. But is sometimes peeing on the floor
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 7 months ago.
Hi Jacustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient. When was your Maltese last checkup from the vet?Is Bella the Maltese?Is the lab spayed?Is the Maltese spayed?
Hi again, I was hoping for a response, but dont' want you going without an answer for too long. Dogs often drool when they have an upset stomach. An upset stomach can occur when a dog is under stress. With an older small female confronted with a recently mature large female, she may be experiencing a little worry from the younger dog becoming the dominant dog in the house. If the younger dog has not attempted to be the boss, she may be worried that it will happen and thus she has a bit of nausea leading to the drooling. Excessive saliva and gulping and licking his mouth are signs of mouth pain, nausea or sometimes a seizure. Check your dog’s mouth for tartar on the teeth, possibly red gums, darkened teeth, broken teeth or something caught between the teeth or gums. Since there may have been an altercation with an animal, check for injury in the mouth area. If you find something stuck, try and remove it. .Check just under your dog’s jawbone for a swelling and under your dog’s tongue for a swelling. This is where some of your dog’s salivary glands are located. If you find a swelling here, it’s possible your dog has an accumulation of fluid near the salivary gland called a sialocele which is causing your dog to salivate more. This condition does require your dog to be seen as soon as possible. You can read about it here:http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/sialocele.htm If you suspect it may be due to nausea you can try some Pepto-Bismol which can be given to a dog at 1 tsp per 5 pounds every 6 hours for upset stomach, gas, or diarrhea. You can read more about excessive salivation on the following website:http://www.petplace.com/dogs/ptyalism-hypersalivation-in-dogs/page1.aspx I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.