Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

My 11-year-old siberian husky suffers severely with incontinence.

Customer Question

My 11-year-old siberian husky suffers severely with incontinence. I must have a visiting vet and he did not do blood work but gave her pills that did not work. In the last week it has gotten a lot worse.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Yesterday she started rubbing her butt on the floor or carpet and cries a bit. I do not know what to do. My hands are so full with my hubby who has a brain injury. Sierra is overweight and I can't even give her a bath.
JA: The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sierra Kay
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sierra Kay?
Customer: Not that I'm noticing now
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. This incontinence could be due to arthritis that has interfered with the nerve supply to the bladder sphincter or or it is due to a Hormone Responsive incontinence due to a spay years agao. Try giving Sierra Kay aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 1 week to see if this will help. If this does not help, you will have to talk to your vet about this being a hormone related issue that will require a prescription medication called Proin. This often helps but if this does not help, there are other medications that can be tried. Hopefully, since you have your hands full, talk to your vet about a house call for another exam and the medications that your sweet Sierra kay may require. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta