Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Sudden jerking JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the

Customer Question

Sudden jerking
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: She just woke up jerking involuntarily..
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: She is restless. Confused..still jerking
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: Not that we can see its like something is poking her
JA: Is the dog eating normally?
Customer: She ate a dig biscuit. Very restless
JA: OK, abnormal eating. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: She was ok eating her biscuit. Her name is***** is 2 1/2 years old put and Boston terrier mix.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about India?
Customer: It's like a full body spasm
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. You've described a complex partial seizure (also called psychomotor seizure)) which is described as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs, (salivation, vomiting, e.g.) and is associated with a change in mentation (mental status/in this case "confused") and/or behavioral abnormalities. Sleep is the most common post-ictal (post-seizure) symptom. Mark your calendar for this event and for just what you witnessed. India's vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding if India should be prescribed an anticonvulsive drug. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) event monthly before prescribing such a drug. Should she suffer another event within 24 hours of this one clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. She would then need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.Seizures first arising between the ages of 1-5 years are usually considered idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy. Seizures arising after 6 years of age are often caused by brain tumor. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.