Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 110 lb dog ate 3 to eight Prevacid about two hrs ago. Should

Customer Question

My 110 lb dog ate 3 to eight Prevacid about two hrs ago. Should she be checked or just watched
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bailey age 4
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bailey?
Customer: Healthy otherwise Oh sorry she also took cap off saline solution but don't know if she ingested a small amount ?? The rest was on floor
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. This drug { Prevacid } has a very high margin of safety in the dog so much so that when a larger dog such as Bailey swallows a few tablets as in your case it could well be that adverse side effects will not be seen, but the worst you might expect to see would be a mild transient bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea. 2. I think all you need do for present is to keep an eye on Bailey and of course take her to an ER vet if any unexpected symptoms appear, but this would be unlikely. In any case after two hours it is now too late to induce vomiting. 3. The saline solution is no cause for concern.I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how Bailey is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her Prevacid incident ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.