Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

She has been bloated least 12 hours and has increased

Customer Question

She has been bloated for at least 12 hours and has increased thirst
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Piper, approx. 10 yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Piper?
Customer: Her abdomen is a little tight
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Piper has been bloated - I will do my best to help. Does Piper seem to be in any discomfort or distress? Bloating of the abdomen is a nonspecific sign, meaning that it can be caused by a wide variety of issues. It can be something as simple as indigestion or gas, but it can also be a sign of fluid accumulation or tumors in the abdomen. These can be emergency situations for some pets. One type of abdominal bloating that requires immediate veterinary care would be that caused by a dilated and twisted stomach (called GDV or "bloat"). Dogs with GDV are very obviously in distress - they pace, pant, and repeatedly try to vomit and produce clear mucus and foam. GDV is an immediately life threatening emergency so if you're seeing distress, an inability to settle, and repeated vomiting I'd seek emergency care. Another serious cause of abdominal distention would be internal bleeding from something like a splenic tumor or trauma. It typically requires significant trauma to rupture a healthy spleen, but dogs are prone to tumors on the spleen that can rupture spontaneously with no trauma and cause internal bleeding. Dogs who are having internal bleeding are typically weak and have pale gums. If she has any of these signs I've described so far, an emergency visit is in order. If Piper is feeling well with no vomiting, lethargy, or respiratory distress and pink gums, then it's likely there's something a bit less sinister going on. Some hormonal imbalances like diabetes or cushing's disease can cause both increased thirst and gradual distention of the belly. These are less urgent, but do require veterinary treatment. I would suggest calling your vet as soon as you're able to set up an exam.Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)