PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

4 year old ***** ***** mix ate dog toy stuffing. Breathing

Customer Question

4 year old ***** ***** mix ate dog toy stuffing. Breathing fine, coughing up cre***** ***** liquid (thick) - I have an appointment at 11:15 a.m. at vet. Resting ok, ate dinner fine, just coughing and trying to clear histhroat.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: chico. We just moved to Canada. I got the emergency room number in case
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chico?
Customer: He is still running around and trying to chase squirrels he can see in the yard. But, then coughs. I put my finger down his throat. Nothing I can see or un-lodge.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. If you would rather wait for the Expert you had originally contacted, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion? 1) When did he eat the stuffing? 2) Any other rough-edged pieces go down like plastic eyes or nose?3) Is he still producing stool normally? 4) For food, is he eating soft foods or kibble? 5) Any vomiting?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1. hour ago, approximately
2. no rough pieces...just stuffing and cover of stuffed animal.
3. stool normal, just took him out and he did fine. walking caused him to increase his coughing.
4. Kibble and soft, canned meat
5. Coughed up white slime, no food or toy.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We just moved to Canada from California. We have lots of animals in the yard, squirrels, a fox, rabbits and feces from animals.
Chico is current on all vaccinations. Chico tends to get Kennel Cough, more frequently than any other dog I have ever had. It sounds like kennel cough. Nothing visible in throat. I have vet appt. at 11:15 a.m. tomorrow and I got an emergency number in case it gets worse. But my husband did see him eat some stuffing and then picked up the rest.
The coughing is likely from irritation as the stuffing and the cover went down. It will likely give your companion much relief to switch him to a very soft food for the next few days, something with higher fiber like canned pumpkin or white rice combined with chicken breast and boiled down to a mush. This approach also won't hurt if he's got kennel cough, either, and may actually help to keep his throat more calm. I, personally, would avoid feeding kibble unless it's soft because of the extra irritation it's likely to cause. Your vet may also want to use something like a sucralfate slurry starting tomorrow if irritation in the back of the throat is a concern. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to using the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, I will not be compensated for helping you today.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He is perky and still anxious to chase squirrels he can see out the window. My question is do you think I can wait until tomorrow to take him to the vet?Seriously, this page just keeps trying to sell me more stuff. That makes me think you are more concerned about money than my problem. Sorry..
The Experts have no control over what is shared on your side of the page. We only see the chat box. If he's still very energetic, I wouldn't be too concerned about taking him to the ER tonight. If you see a vast change in his demeanor, that would be the time to consider an ER visit. His energy level says a lot about how he feels overall. I will be on for another 8 hours today. If you are concerned that he's going to need an ER visit, you can reply back to this thread (even after rating) and it will allow you and I to continue to chat. I will be happy to help you determine, if needed, if he needs to go to the ER tonight or if he can wait for tomorrow. At this time, I would say just plan to see your vet tomorrow.