Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

He has been whining to go outside and EAT GRASS EXCESSIVELY

Customer Question

He has been whining to go outside and EAT GRASS EXCESSIVELY in last hour. Is panting...and seems uncomfortable. (Earlier, he got into some pineapple cake at a picnic...and the rare CHG. IN DIET might have caused this, but he is seeming frantic to eat grass, 3 hrs. after eating cake.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Whining, pacing, running to door to go outside. Outside, excessive gulping of grass. (Got into cake 3 hrs. ago...that's the only thing I can suspect might have upset his stomach--if that is the problem.)
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jasper, a 4 yr. old yellow Lab.
JA: How old is Jasper, A 4 Year Old Yellow Lab?
Customer: yes.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jasper, A 4 Year Old Yellow Lab?
Customer: Occasionally, he will appear to be "gulping" like this...but never whining and seeming to be uncomfortable. (He does seem to have a sensitive stomach...but tonight appears to be restless, whining, and in pain, possibly.)
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I would suspect you are correct that the pinapple cake may have upset the stomach as dogs will often eat grass when they feel nausea or to try to vomit. That being said there is something else to look out for with this breed and that is bloat. With bloat the stomach will swell with air, the dog will be dry heaving and will likely not be very responsive to you. So check the gums to make sure they are pink and not pale or white, watch for dry heaving (non productive vomiting). If there are no signs of bloat you can try giving a pepcid ac to calm the stomach. Take the dogs vital signs as this will give you a good indication of a problem.Suspend food, but allow water. If it continues into the afternoon or you see signs of bloat please see your Vet immediately.What is Normal in dogshttp://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs/page1.aspx Pepcid http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Here is more on Bloat http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-dilatation-volvulus/page1.aspx