Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

Today noticed her poop was loose and had mucus like blood in

Customer Question

Today noticed her poop was loose and had mucus like blood in it twice she is still eating and drinking
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bama and she is about 10 months old had all her shots and came in heat last month
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bama?
Customer: Not that I know of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 months ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. The mucous you see normally helps lubricate the intestines. It indicates inflammation in the intestines when it is clearly visible. The most common reason for blood in the stool is parasites such as worms or a protozoan infection such as coccidia or giardia. The most common worms found in dogs are: Roundworms, Hookworms, Tapeworms, and Whipworms and Heartworms. In a relatively normal puppy of this age who had been to the vet regularly, now is about the time we night see them contract worm again. It just seems to be a problem around this age since pups put everything in their mouth and don't really finish teething until around 7 months or so. This leads to them possibly ingesting worm eggs inadvertently. In some cases these worms are passed from the mother to the puppy as well or on grass where fecal matter used to sit, in other cases such as tapeworms, they are contracted by other methods such as ingesting an infected flea. Most over the counter medicine will only kill one or two types of worms, so your best bet is to take a fecal sample to your vet to determine the type of worms your dog may have and then decide on treatment. Dogs should be checked for worms periodically even if they appear healthy. This is so if your pet does become ill, you are not fighting a worm infestation along with a more serious problem. For additional information about worms, see this site Common dewormers are Panacur, which is a prescription product so you need to obtain it from your Vet and it works on roundworms and whipworms. Wormers labeled as Pyrantel Pamoate are the best over the counter medication for roundworms. Drontal plus is also a prescription product and is used for the treatment of Tapeworms, though dewormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms. Many heartworm preventatives also help control whipworms and roundworms. Another reason to keep your dog on Heartworm medication. Coccidia manifests as mild or severe diarrhea depending on how infected they are. If it is severe, there may be blood and mucous in the stool along with voming and loss of appetitie leading to dehydration You can read about it here: Information on giardia can be found on this site: of giardia are diarrhea with possible terrible smell, mucousy stool and sometimes bouts of vomiting. Other causes could be anal growths, infected anal glands and inflammation within the large intestine. You can read about the various cause of red blood in the stool here: I'd start with deworming if she was my dog and if the loose stools continued with a show of mucous and blood, I'd go ahead and get a fecal exam done to check for the protozoan infection. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.