Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Pearl dry hacking cough, with no discharge, been going on

Customer Question

Hi Pearl
dry hacking cough, with no discharge, been going on for month or so, have tried, antibotics, hair ball med., will drink water and a warm moist vaporizier seem to help short term, at present is taking pre
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Poncho, 17 years old and except for the cough seems to be in good health, strong heart and no other problems
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Poncho?
Customer: has had most of his teeth pulled due to rotten teeth
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. The first signs of heart disease is a dry hacking cough and since Poncho is elderly and did have a dental recently, this could be due to Heart disease. If your vet has not run an EKG or Echocardiogram on POncho, have them do this because just listening to his heart is not enough to diagnose this disease. If this is the problem, medications are very effective in decreasing this cough so Poncho can be more comfortable. If this does not turn out to be heart disease, this also could be Tracheobronchitis or Kennel Cough. The older dogs are much more prone to this disease since their immune system is not as competent. In the older dogs, this can last for months. The treatment is Robitussin DM at 1 teaspoon per 20 pounds of Poncho's weight every 8 hrs to help calm down the cough. This is a self limiting disease and does not harm your sweet guy unless it continues. Have your vet check him again and do a thorough exam with diagnostics to rule out these diseases. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Hi Malcolm,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta