Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

I have an almost 9 month English bulldog. He woke up fine

Customer Question

Hi, I have an almost 9 month English bulldog. He woke up fine yesterday morning, but about half way through the day began being very lethargic. His breathing also seems to be a bit off - at times faster and wheezing. And did not want to eat dinner.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the English bulldog. What is the English bulldog's name?
Customer: Bubba
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Beula?
Customer: I can also occasionally hear some noise coming from his stomach (upset)
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding your boy Bubba. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.Thank you for your patience.Kind Regards,Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.
Hi again,Thank you for your patience. As you can probably appreciate, there are a number of possible causes for Bubba's symptoms this evening including anything from an acute gastrointestinal issue, to canine infectious cough or canine influenza, to an allergic reaction or even a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything around the yard he could have gotten into). You will definitely need to continue to keep an eye on him tonight if you can. Make sure he has plenty of fresh water available and do try and encourage him to drink if you can. It sounds like his intestines are making a bit of noise, so it is quite possible he has a bit of gastrointestinal upset. You can with hold his food until first thing this morning now, so just let him have access to fresh water until then. For now, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet. Given it sounds as though he may also have some GI upset, you may also want to try him with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: All the best with Bubba and let me know how you get on. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc