Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

We recently adopted a one year old Great Pyrenees mix from

Customer Question

We recently adopted a one year old Great Pyrenees mix from the SPCA. My wife noticed that he breaths rapidly while resting and while sleeping. His breathing is as rapid as a pant. He does not appear to be in any pain. He is very active and loves walks.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Chance
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chance?
Customer: We took him to the vet e few days after we got him and everything checked out fine. He did end up having tape worms in his stool and the vet prescribed pills which took care of that.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 7 months ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. A dog's normal respiration is from 10-35 breaths per minute with puppies being a little higher. In addition, dogs also pant when they are hot, under stress and in other circumstances. With the heavy coat of a pyreneese, being in a warm environment may contribute to his breating heavier. In addition, dog tend to dream as well and will pant in response to running in their dream as well. I'd monitor his breathing for a few days and if it still seems consistently high, have your vet check him over again including some x-rays of the chest and lungs. You can read about panting in dogs here:http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/panting-in-dogs I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.