petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

My 6 year old lab has an inflamed lymph gland on

Customer Question

My 6 year old lab has an inflamed lymph gland on his back leg. He jumped a sea wall last week with a large drop and 2 days later he started to limp and I found the lump. I took him to the vet who said he has likely done some damage to his leg, gave him
Some anti inflammatories and he stopped limping. He has no more enlarged lymph glands and he is normal, but I have a nagging feeling it could be something worse. I am going back on Thursday as the lump hasn't gone down. Do you have any experience that a fall can cause the gland to swell and there to be a lump? Thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind. Was there an open wound of any sort on the affected leg? Did you vet aspirate the lymph node at all? Other than the limping, was the leg painful at all? Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
HiNo open wound but he started to limp after a big play with another dog off the lead. He stopped limping after he had anti inflammatories at the vets and hasn't limped since but the lump is still there. He doesn't mind having his leg touched etc.
Next step is to have a biopsy, I just wanted to see if like the vet said it could be caused by a soft tissue injury. He has no other issues at all. He's just my baby and I am worried
Expert:  petdrz. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for the prompt reply. A lymph node will respond to any local inflammatory or infection in the area near it and as a consequence will sometimes become enlarged as it reacts. Soft tissue injuries do not usually cause a lymph node to enlarge however, and even if it did, I would expect it to decrease in size as the inflammation resolved. I would definitely follow up with a biopsy. It may be nothing to worry about, but that is somewhat abnormal behavior and better to be safe. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.Dr Z
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It does seem to change in size slightly and doesn't feel as big as it did feel when I initially found it. The vet said it could be a good couple of weeks before it went down but I will get a biopsy I think to see what it is.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 6 months ago.
I think that would be the safest. Good luck and please keep me posted as to how things progress.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am just worried it could be the worst case, but he has no other symptoms and this came on after a fall. No other enlarged lymph nodes. So the lump could be caused by something other than the worst case scenario even if it's not a soft tissue injury?? It just seems so strange it came on after he fell and after anti inflammatories he stopped limping straight away.... I just worry and Google is scary.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 6 months ago.
You are right that Google is a scary place. It is not uncommon that we see solitary enlarged lymph nodes and we can't even identify what they are reacting too. In these cases, there is no history of trauma or injury or outward signs of infection or inflammation. I have never seen an enlarged lymph node from a fall, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. I wouldn't expect metacam to have an effect on an enlarged lymph node as it does to help with limping, so time may be what it will take to resolve it if it is simply doing it's job and reacting to something going on nearby in the body.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you I will let you know what the vet says on Thursday and will stay off google!
Expert:  petdrz. replied 6 months ago.
Great. You can log back into the site and go to the "my questions" section to reply at any time even after you have provided a rating. I will receive an email if you do and can respond after that. Alternatively, you can bookmark this page and save it to your favorites.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Had results for my dog it was just a tissue injury that caused his lymph gland to swell. Biopsy showed nothing bad so that's great.