PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

Oakley can't use his rear legs. Condition came suddenly out

Customer Question

Oakley can't use his rear legs. Condition came suddenly out of nowhere. If you try to stand him up he screams in pain literally sounding humanlike
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Oakley. .just turned 4
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oakley?
Customer: Had similar conditions when he was about 4 months old. Other than that predominantly healthy.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. If you would rather wait for the Expert you had originally contacted, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) What breed is Oakley? 2) Any history of injury such as being hit by a car or jumping off of tall furniture? 3) Is he able to use his legs but is in great pain or are the back legs flaccid? 4) What treatment was used when he was 4 months of age?
Let me know just as soon as you can so that I may help you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
English bulldog
Jumped from truck 4 mnths
Was casted for 6-8 weeks
Not too well....screams in pain if you try to move him
Ouch! The potentially for re-injury to this area exists and is not-unheard of. If the area of the break or fracture was close to or involved a joint, you may be dealing with some arthritis as well. If you find he's dragging his legs up and then placing them into position or has complete inability to use them, we then worry about a spinal issue. Either way, your boy definitely qualifies to have an exam performed today and x-rays performed on the leg and/or spine. Your vet will likely want to put him on some canine-safe NSAIDs, pain meds and, if needed, muscle relaxers. If this is a condition like IVDD (see below), a referral to a specialist may be needed so that he can walk again. More info here: If this condition is a re-break from a previous injury, they may need to cast it again or even perform surgery. Until he's able to be seen, you can certainly pad an area like a kennel or gated off bathroom with plush blankets and other soft items to make ambulation and resting easier and more comfortable. I would be cautious about giving any medication at home, at this time, as it may prevent your vet from using certain medications when he's examined. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.