PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My 4lb yorkie ate my 67lb boxers 500mg keflex JA: IÂ'm sorry

Customer Question

my 4lb yorkie ate my 67lb boxers 500mg keflex
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Zoe and she is 9 1/2.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zoe?
Customer: she has a very small trachea.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. If you would rather wait for the Expert you had originally contacted, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) When was this eaten? 2) Have you seen any vomiting or diarrhea since the ingestion? 3) Is she still eating well?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Within the hour. No signs of anything. She only eats in the morning
Thank you for the additional information. It will take me about 5 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how I will be compensated for my time.
Typically with this medication, the worst that you will see are GI symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea. We can also see excitability, drooling, etc. If you would prefer to avoid the risk this happening, you can induce vomiting at home with a fresh bottle of hydrogen peroxide. Follow the instructions here: http://www.sunrisepetclinicaz.com/vomiting.htmlOtherwise, simply monitor for the vomiting and diarrhea that you might see. The literature on this medication states that the risk of adverse symptoms is low and and seldom serious, so it's likely you may not see any symptoms at all. If you elect this route, I would go ahead and feed her again for good measure. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.
Do you have any additional questions regarding this ingestion?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
tried the hydrogen peroxide but nothing is happening
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
is there any harm in what she took that she has to be seen or has to throw up?
Very unlikely. As mentioned above, the risk of toxicity with this type of ingestion is very low and most pets don't show any symptoms. Did you use a fresh bottle of hydrogen peroxide? Just opened this evening?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes
She may need to have another dose administered. If it's been over 15 minutes, try again. If she does not vomit this time around, I avoid simply watch her to be sure no symptoms arise. Again, by the literature for the Keflex, the risk is very low. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thank you
You're very welcome. If you need more support, just let me know.
Checking in, did she vomit the 2nd time around?